Wednesday, 9 September 2009

A Collection of Photos From Two Years of Campaigning - Long Live the South Downs National Park!!

Seeing as it is now two years since I first joined the South Downs National Park Campaign and our success is soon to be marked by the South Downs National Park Celebration Event for which I recently received my invitation (thank you Michael Blencowe of Natural England and Tony Whitbread Sussex Wildlife Trust Chief Executive), I thought it would be fun to gather together a few snapshots of the events I have been involved in. I know there are many many more people who worked extremely hard to ensure the success of the campaign and put in many more hours than me, I look forward to hopefully meeting some of them at the celebration event next month.



Myself and Brian Blessed, July 2007, Harting Down


Brian Blessed addresses a gathered crowd.

The walk begins! Designed to highlight the treasure that is the Western Weald it was a popular event as were several other walks through out the course of the campaign, attracting large numbers of supporters from far and wide.

Thank you Budgens of Midhurst for allowing me to use their foyer to present a petition to members of the public. Over 70 signatures in 4 hours - Thank you people of Midhurst this really helped boost the overall total!


Fame at last! One year on from the announcment of the Governments proposal to cut the proposed National Park boundaries, the campaign held a photo call in Petersfield Town Square, accompanied by Michael Mates, East Hampshire MP.

Robin Crane adresses the gathered crowd of supporters in Petersfield Town Square as the BBC News film rolls on!

Myself and Michael Mates East Hampshire MP, Petersfield Town Square.
Many thanks to Mr Mates for delivering the campaign's well signed petition to Government.


Before I finish typing I believe huge thanks are also due to the excellent Northern Area team of the South Downs Joint Committee. If it wasn't for the wonderful insight I gained into the nature of the South Downs, including the Western Weald during my two weeks work experience with them June 2007, I may well never have become so involved in what has been such a successful campaign, and never done my bit to help save the very special place where I hope to make my career in conservation in the future.

For more examples of my photography, poetry and campaign work, please visit my website http://www.sophieco.co.uk/

2 comments:

  1. Great job. One day people will begin to listen to us speaking on the environment and take things more seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only there were more people like us eh?! People Power!!

    ReplyDelete