Sunday, 6 September 2009

Whats in a name?

Isn't it funny how sometimes you mention something that you don't seem to have seen or heard of for a long time then suddenly, the next day there are examples of it everywhere? Although a Sussex girl at heart I have my fair share of West Country genes, and, typical Gemini, often wish I could be in two places at once! Only the other day I was talking with my Mum, we were saying about how it is nearly the end of the summer holidays, yet we haven't been back to Cornwall this year. Then, a wish-you-were-here postcard arrived from friends who live 'down there'.
Yesterday, satisfying an urge to be by the sea, my parents and I took a walk around Chichester Marina. I have always liked looking at boat names when walking alongside moorings and as I ran my eyes along the rows of yachts in the marina I couldn't help but smile. It seems I'm not the only one who loves the western counties Devon and Cornwall! Many of the names were linked with that area of the world, and others reminded me of aspects of my own life. Here are just a few examples...
The wind does indeed seem to sing as it blows along cliffs and through stone built villages, across moorland and round ancient stone circles of old Cornwall.
The River Dart flows from its source deep in the heart of Dartmoor, across Devon, bubbling over rocks between gnarled green oak trees, along steep sided valleys, meeting the sea at Dartmouth on the south coast.
No-one who has read the book can forget Tarka. Henry Williamson's literary creation follows the story of a legendary otter by the name of Tarka on its journey back and forth across the West Country, and through the trials of the wild life all otters lead.
A real relic of Old Cornwall; an actual Cornish Crabber boat. I could almost feel the Cornish sea air, smell the fish and hear the calls and laughter of the fisherman unloading their catch in the early morning.
Maybe one day these magnificent birds of prey will catch fish in Cornish estuaries? I saw my first Osprey at Thorney Island, West Sussex.
Because everybody needs a Friday Smile - A smile is something that doubles every time you give it away! I may not be a Gypsy Girl but I do know a Gypsy Boy!
The spirit of Cornwall still survives and is felt by every visitor to this lovely place.
Gemini I may be but it's a Pisces whom I love.

Marsh Sandpiper. Not a bird I have seen yet, maybe this winter I shall strike lucky!?

Talking of birds... no bird is more symbolic of Cornwall than the Chough. Living along coastal cliff tops and found upon the Cornish Coat of Arms, the Chough is a member of the crow family; jet black with blood red feet and curved bill. Legends say that when King Arthur, famous for his Knights of the Round Table, died, he did not in fact die but turned into a Chough and will return at the time of the countries' greatest need. Many thanks are due to the RSPB, English Nature, and the National Trust, with the help of the Cornish Chough Watch, for their work in ensuring these birds which were once extinct from Cornwall, can once again live and breed in safety.

Ah well, time to return to dear old Sussex!

No comments:

Post a Comment