Tuesday, 21 September 2010

What a Difference a Year Makes

Firstly, having just viewed the stat's for this blog, I would like to say a big HELLO! and Thank You! to all my readers - especially those from as far away as America, Brazil, Hong Kong and Russia. The wonders of the internet!

September marks the start of a new academic year for myself and many other students across the world. It's set me thinking about everything I have acheived, everything I have taken part in over the last 12 months.

Late Summer/Autumn 2009- I became a National Trust Volunteer Warden. Over my time with the National Trust I learnt many valuable skills, leasons and experinces.
October 2009 - Represented the Sussex Wildlife Youth Council and met Chris Packham at the Sussex Wildlife Trust AGM
January 2010 - Snow, snow and more snow!
February and March 2010- At the end of the South Downs Campaign I took part in the Final Conference of the Campaign. It was an honour to work alongside Chairman of the Campaign, Robin Crane CBE and Campaign Officer Chris Todd. The South Downs National Park was officially declared 31st March 2010.
April 2010 - I volunteered with the RSPB 'Date With Nature' team at Chichester Catherdral Peregrine project for 2 days a week from April - June; in a matter of 10 weeks I fell in love with Peregrin Falcons, and fell in love with engaging the public with nature.
June 2010 - I finished my 2 years at college where I have been studying for an EDEXCEL Level 3 National Diploma in Countryside Mangement, gaining a Triple Distinction
4th July 2010 - 'Walk on the Wildside', a walking event for under 18's organised by the Sussex Wildlife Trust Youth Council
August 2010 - after spending a wonderful week volunteering in all areas of conservation with the RSPB at Pulborough Brooks RSPB Reserve, I was proud to accept a part time job as an assistant in the reserve Visitors Centre.
September 2010 - 15 Minutes of Fame; two articles and two photos published in the Sussex Wildlife Trust magazine 'Wildlife' September edition.

Wow - thats one busy 12 months!
The year has now come full circle and I have decided to return to college to complete a further course, this time in Agriculture. this course will benifit me by providing experience, skills and knowledge that will help, not only with practical conservation work, but also when negotiating with landowners and farmers in my future career.
I look forward to seeing what the next year brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment