Wednesday, 29 February 2012

A Local Walk

I decided today to take an opportunity to escape the computer screen and go for a walk. I chose to stick to my local area to save the fuel in the car. Armed with my binoculars and fuelled by a KitKat I strolled along a path that follows a strip of woodland and a stream that runs between a quiet residential area and a small industrial estate. From there I ventured onto Midhurst Common, gazing upwards into the heights of pine and birch trees, and down into the depths of flooded sand pits at the base of steep sand 'cliff' edges. I searched the lake edges in vain for the halcyon blue of Kingfisher but although no sight of this beautiful bird could be found, I saw many other species along the way. The rest of my walk took me alongside allotments and past a lake where a pair of herons nested last year and then home via the farm track and industrial estate. In total I saw or heard 22 bird species, including Bullfinch, Treecreeper, Coal Tit and many many Robins. Common or Garden birds they all were, but they were a pleasure to watch and the songs and calls were wonderful too: indeed, I did more birding with my ears than my eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment