Saturday, 2 August 2014

Poem: Swift Departure

I noticed today, the swifts have left the town. Always last to arrive and first to arrive, these migratory visitors epitomise, for me, the fleeting nature of the long awaited summer. Their thrilling screaming cries and diving flight down the narrow alleyways and cobbled streets of my home-town are a highlight of my year, and I miss them when they are gone.

Swift Departure
No scything wings.
The song thrush, the town-crier sings:
They’ve gone! They’ve gone! They’ve gone!
The empty street gazes up at empty sky.
No screaming dives.
Sparrows, the street-urchins, chirp forlorn:
They’ve gone! They’ve gone! They’ve gone!
No angled shadow.
The starlings, the pearly kings, darkly mourn:
They’ve gone! They’ve gone! They’ve gone!
Around the eaves the wind blows hollow.
No longer spring, they’ve stolen summer;
The cloud-cutters, the city-swallow.

They’ve gone.

(Copyright Sophie-May Lewis)

No comments:

Post a Comment